Indefinite Strike from 26th February 2008 deferred after discussion with DOT
Consequent to the serving of notice for indefinite strike wef 26th February, a meeting was called by DOT Secretary Shri Sidharth Behura on 19-02-2008, in which CMD BSNL Shri Kuldeep Goyal was also present. Com.V.A.N.Namboodiri, Convener JF and other leaders explained the demands of the strike and asked to settle the same.
The outcome of the discussion, as given in writing, is narrated below:
- Disinvestment of BSNL: There is no immediate proposal for IPO/Disinvestment. Minister has also issued a press release on this.
- VRS Proposal: If the BSNL employees do not want VRS, no such scheme will be introduced.
- Withdrawal of DOT’s arbitrary orders on pension ( 60% – 40% ): The matter will be taken with the Cabinet.
- Uninterrupted supply of 2G, 3G Spectrum: This will be given preference. BSNL will be allotted 3G Spectrum.
- Ensure BSNL’s Financial viability: DOT Secretary stated that cabinet Note is under circulation and assured discussion with Minister and appropriate action will be taken for the same.
- Navaratna Status to BSNL: DPE shall forward the case for grant of Navaratna status to BSNL for consideration by apex body.
- Immediate absorption of Group A Officers: Matter is under active consideration of DOT. Draft Cabinet Note is under preparation and the final note will be prepared with 15-20 days.
To a question in the Parliament, the Minister of State for Communications and IT Shri Shakeel Ahmed stated that the government is not considering disinvestment of BSNL.
After the discussion with the Secretary DOT and CMD BSNL who assured immediate action on all the above matters, the joint Forum met and decided to defer the strike. ( ( To be continued )