The workers of the three units of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) at Durgapur (W.Bengal), Salem (T.Nadu) and Bhadrawati (karnataka), went on strike on 11th April 2017 against the decision f the central government for the strategic sale of these units. SAIL is in the process of appointing Advisors , investment bankers, financial institutions etc. for the sale. The strike was jointly called by all the unions including CITU, AITUC, INTUC and HMS.
This sale of the asset of the nation is being implemented as part of the ‘privatisation policy of the government’. National assets are gifted to the corporates.
We fully support the struggle and extend our solidarity!
One more powerful strike has taken place in Greece against the austerity measures being implemented by the government for the last seven years. Wages, pensions are being cut while the cost of living is going high.
Government employees, teachers, workers in transport, railway, airways, shipping – all went on strike on 17th May and thousands of workers demonstrated in Athens. They demanded immediate stoppage of the austerity measures and restoration of wages, pensions etc.
We extend our full support and solidarity to the striking workers of Greece!
The Centre of Indian Trade Unions congratulates the Haryana Roadways workers for their heroic strike struggle and extends all support to their struggle against privatization. Already CITU unions and other mass organizations in Haryana have been organizing solidarity programmes throughout the state. CITU calls upon the working class to stand by the continuing strike struggles by the Haryana Roadway workers against privatization and demands upon the State Government of Haryana to refrain from their retrograde decision, withdraw all victimization and end the stalemate in consultation with the unions.
All the meat shops and abattoirs in U.P. are on closed and on strike against the decision of Yogi Aditynath Government to ban beef and also punish the ‘offenders’. Beef is the food of a large number of people and restrictions and ban on the same will adversely and badly affect their lives. This also affects the animals like lion, tiger etc. in the zoos.
Brute majority in the elections is not a licence to start anti-people, anti-animal drive and cutting short the employment of thousands of people.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has stated that the action is only against those not having valid licences, but in practice it is against all who deals with beef, meat etc. as alleged by the affected traders and people.
The UP government should stop this unwarranted attack on the people without any delay.
Lakhs of Central government employees, as per the call of the Confederation of CG Employees and Workers, are on strike today, 16th March 2017, protesting against the denial of Minimum Wage, adequate fitment in pay, restoration of various allowances etc. They are also protesting against non-implementation of promises by the Central Government, on which the indefinite strike was deferred last year. A government which does not keep its promises given to its own employees have lost all credibility.
The strike has started with massive participation. State government employees’ organisations, PSU organisation and others have extended full solidarity and support to the fully justified strike.
Massive protest dharnas were organised throughout the country on 25th November 2016 as per the call of all unions/associations of non-executives and executives in BSNL against the move of the government to form a Subsidiary Tower Company bifurcating BSNL. In BSNL Corporate Office also, the dharna was participated by large numbers of comrades who have come from UP(W) and Haryana Circles as also from the corporate office and NTR. The workers were agitated and angry that the government and the BSNL Management is moving against the interest of BSNL and its workforce.
Why workers are opposing the Subsidiary Tower Company?
- There is no need for a separate tower company. BSNL has got more than 65,000 towers at present and they are working well and helping the improvement of services.
- Although government says that it will be a fully subsidiary company of BSNL, this is only temporary. Within no time, it will be separated and will be put under strategic sale as in the case of Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited(VSNL). It will cease to be a BSNL Tower Company and will be a Adani Tower Company/Reliance Tower Company/Tata Tower Company or some other private Tower Company according to who takes it.
- Once it is a separate company, BSNL will have to pay charges of using the same to the Private company. This will be just like BSNL paying for undersea cable charges to private companies although BSNL paid funds for installing the same.
- The Reliance Jio which has not much towers so far badly need the same. A separate tower company will be the answer.
- Such a situation will be the decline of BSNL, which is on fast revival path.
- ‘Divide and Destroy’ is the strategy being adopted by the government.
But the government, private corporates and BSNL management have forgotten certain aspects:
- This is not the first time that the government and management have tried to ‘Divide and Destroy’ BSNL. First they decided to ‘unbundle’ the priceless copper cables of BSNL, which lies underground connecting the entire country. This conspiracy was defeated by the united strike decision of the BSNL employees and the Secretary DOT was compelled to give written assurance to the Joint Action Committee that the cables will not be unbundled.
- Government decided to retrench, in the name of VRS, first 50,000 employees, then 1,00,000 employees and lastly 70,000 employees. United agitation by BSNL workers ensured that these anti-worker actions are defeated.
- Government decided to disinvest BSNL thrice and offered 3% of shares to the employees. Through stiff resistance and strike, the workers ensured that government could not implement its decision.
- The government withdrew all assistance and financial support to BSNL, which were assured at the time of formation of BSNL, with the intention of making BSNL unviable to enable it to privatise the PSU. Due to consistent efforts by the unions/associations and workers, BSNL is brought in to operational profit, in which the management also had a great contribution. As such the ill-intention of the government was defeated.
- The government move to unbundle cables, Retrenchment/VRS, Disinvestment etc. could be defeated only because of the strong unity and firm determination of BSNL workers, both executives, non-executives, contract workers and even the retired employees. It is to be remembered that the one lakh strong contract workers went on strike every time there was a strike by the employees, though many of them were retrenched from work and victimised. Under the leadership of BSNL Casual and Contract Workers Federation, they stood with the employees, since they understood that their future depended upon the existence of BSNL. In the same way, the pensioners under the leadership of All India BSNL DOT Pensioners Association stood with the workers by participating in all programmes (other than strike). Their future is also connected with the existence of BSNL.
- While the policy of the government is ‘Divide and Destroy’, the counter policy of the workers has been ‘United Struggle’, ‘Better Service’ and ‘Revival of BSNL.’ The workers have won so far, although through much sacrifice and suffering.
- The massive dharnas have once again shown that BSNL workers are united and firm against the formation of ‘Subsidiary Tower Company’ and will fight to the last to defeat the attack on the ‘survival of BSNL.’
- If the government and management do not go back from this attack on BSNL, the 2 lakh BSNL workers and one lakh casual contract workers, with the support of almost 2 lakh DOT-BSNL pensioners will fight to the last and defeat the sinister game of the government.
- All the workers should be individually contacted, explained and made ready for the One Day Strike on 15th December 2016 for which notice has already been served by the unions/associations. It is not a strike ritual. It is a real strike in which each and every employee is convinced and ready to fight till the last.
“UNITY FOR STRUGGLE – STRUGGLE FOR UNITY – UNITY AND STRUGGLE FOR PROGRESS”
The Postal Workers of Canada are in arms against the proposal of the Canada Post to change the defined pension scheme to for an inferior defined pension scheme. Refusing to discuss with the Union, the Canada Post is taking a high handed decision.
The Communist Party of Canada today called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to intervene with Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra to restart negotiations.
The workers are preparing for a serious struggle against the attack on pension.
Our whole-hearted support to the Canadian Postal workers for their valiant struggle!
CONFEDERATION CIRCULAR DATED 06-07-2016
The National Joint Council of Action (NJCA) met at the Staff Side office, JCM, New Delhi today at 11:30 AM as scheduled. During the discussions, the Convener received an invitation from the Honourable Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh. The following members of the NJCA met the Home Minister in a delegation.
1. Dr. M. Raghavaiah (NFIR), 2. Shiv Gopal Misra (AIRF), 3. Rakhal Dasgupta (AIRF), 4. Guman Singh (NFIR), 5. K. K. N. Kutty (Confederation), 6. C. Srikumar (AIDEF), 7. M. Krishnan (Confederation), 8. Ashok Singh (INDWF), 9. R. Srinivasan (INDWF), 10. M. S. Raja (Confederation), 11. J. R. Bhosale (AIRF), 12. Bhatnagar (NFIR), 13. R. N. Parashar (NFPE), 14. Giriraj Singh (NFPE), 15. Satish Chander (FNPO), 16. Shiv Kumar (FNPO), 17. N. Kannaiah (AIRF).
The issues in the Charter of demands were discussed with special reference to the 7th CPC related demands. The delegation brought to the notice of the Honourable Home Minister that the NJCA has not received a communication from the Government over the assurances held out on 30th June, 2016, when the NJCA delegation met the Honourable Home Minister, Finance Minister and the Railway Ministers. On 30th June 2016, the Government had assured to refer the revision of Minimum wage and fitment formula to a Committee. The Finance Minister has also clarified that the Government has taken the decision to implement the recommendation of the 7th CPC to bring about parity between the past and present pensioners. They added that such a communication in confirmation of the assurances will enable them to take a decision over the strike action which is to commence from 11th July, 2016.
The Honourable Home Minister assured the delegation that the Government will honour the assurances held out to the NJCA leaders on 30th June, 2016 and accordingly the Honourable Finance Minister, Shri Arun Jaitly will issue a Press Statement today, with copy to NJCA.
After receipt of the copy of the Press Communique issued by the Honourable Finance Minister, the NJCA will take a final decision.
Haryana Electricity employees are going on strike on 29th and 30th of June against the anti-people policies of the government and also on certain demands. Instead of discussing with the workers and settlement of the issues, government is victimising the workers and promulgating anti-worker orders.
Extend solidarity and support to the striking workers!