Demanding implementation of the labour laws and payment of Bonus, the Casual and Contract Labour Union (CCLU) Kerala and other contract unions have jointly decided to go on Indefinite strike from 5th January 2018. The notice given by the Unions are given below:
Sub: Issues of contract labours – Notice for Agitation.
The demands of the contract workers of Kerala circle which were agreed to during the
discussion in the presence of Regional Labour Commissioner (Central) Trivandrum on 11.7.2017, with
the representatives of unions, management and contractors were not implemented so far. It was
decided in the meeting that the contractors and administration should find ways to pay bonus to the
workers. It was also agreed that the minutes of the meeting will be circulated among the SSAs
enabling them to implement the decisions. As all these issues were put in cold storage by the
administration as well as the employer, we were compelled to approach the RLC to have a conciliatory
meeting. As such, a meeting took place in the conference hall of CGMT, in the presence of Regional
Labour Commissioner (Central) Trivandrum on 20.12.2017 in which representatives of unions,
administration and contractors were present. Since no positive step either from the administration or
from the contractors emerged, the unions were compelled to announce their decision to resort to
trade union action including indefinite strike and boycotted the meeting. The following are the
demands to be settled immediately.
1. Payment of bonus
2. Payment of wages latest by 7th of every month.
3. Fixing duty hours on the basis of 4 hours and 8 hours as agreed in the meeting on 11.7.2017.
4. No reduction in the number of labourers
5. Completion of categorization work
6. Implementation of minimum wage notified by the Central Labour Ministry
7. Service weightage
8. Issue of Identity cards
9. Equal wage for equal work
10. Payment of 26 days’ wages including that of second Saturdays
11. Implementation of the agreement signed on 11.7.2017
12. Ending of corruption and unholy nexus between officers and contractors.
If the issues are not settled before 31st December 2017, the unions have decided to go on an
indefinite strike from 5.1.2018. It is requested to avoid any labour unrest and take the initiative to
sort out all these issues.”
Extend full support to the strike. The demands are fully justified.