The last wage settlement in BSNL was w.e.f. 01-01-2007. Ten long years have passed. While the demand raised during the last wage revision was five years, it was not accepted. In many PSUs Five Year agreement is being made. But in BSNL, even after ten years, the management has not taken any action for the same.
The plea of the management is that no guidance has been received from the DPE for starting discussion. Secondly, as per the III Pay Revision Committee report for the PSU executives, there will be no pay revision for loss making companies. The ‘Affordability Clause’ in the PRC is another hindrance. Despite demand from the union for starting wage negotiation, the management is silent.
What is the justification for wage revision? What is to be done in this situation?
1. 10 years are over after last wage settlement. As well as practice as also to move with the times, a fresh wage settlement is required.
2. The workers are not the culprits for the loss of the company and hence they should not be punished with wage-freezing. The Government and the Management are fully responsible for the present situation of the company. The details are well known to the workers as well as the management.
3. BSNL is a PSU converted from the government. It was assured at the time of corporatisation that all assistance will be given by the government to BSNL. Now the assistance required is funds for the wage revision. The government which gives huge subsidies to the corporates should also ensure assistance to its own company.
4. Since last wage revision, the pay bill for BSNL has not increased as large number of workers are being retired and there are only very few recruitment.
5. The company is gradually coming towards profit making. As per CMD BSNL, it may be profitable by 2017-18 or next year.
6. If the employees did not get absorbed in BSNL, the government would have made pay revision as granted to ITS.
7. The salary Bill will not increase much due to the large number of officials retiring.
Similar and further justifications are there.
It is necessary that the workers are mobilised for action. All effort should be made to bring all unions in the struggle.This only will make the government to concede the demands.
Delay will be suicidal.