Private Telecom Companies are really fast. They have already decided what are their immediate demands and wish -list to be presented to the government. Reports in the media have focussed the five main demands, which are as follows:
1. Make more spectrum available for data usage
2. Rationalise the taxes and levies in the sector
3. Facilitate introduction of new and efficient technologies such as M2M and cloud computing
4. Implement the benefits of the status for the industry in parity with other infrastructure sectors in the country
5. Exploring a revenue sharing arrangement between the over the top Internet players and telecom companies.
The lines are clear. The telecom corporates want that they should be favoured and all restrictions and regulations in the sector have to be rescinded for their benefit.
What the PSU telecom companies, BSNL and MTNL, are demanding? They also have to formulate what is immediately required for the revival of BSNL and MTNL? Delay will be costly.
BSNL and MTNL workers and their organisations also have to move fast with their demands to save BSNL and MTNL and strengthen them to give a better service to the people.