PTI has reported that the Appoints Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Shri Anupam Shrivastava as CMD BSNL, who is now functioning as Director (CM) in BSNL.
Our Hearty Congratulations to Anupam Shrivastava! The Revival of BSNL is the immediate task and the new incumbent has to put all out efforts to bring back BSNL to it past glory and better service.
Meeting with CMD BSNL on Casual and Contract Workers’ issues
Com.VAN Namboodiri, President, BSNL Casual and Contract Workers Federation (BSNLCCWF) met Shri A.N.Rai, CMD BSNL on 4th December 2014 and discussed the following issues:
- Implementation of EPF for Casual labour from 2000: At present the EPF is implemented for the casual labours w.e.f. 2011. The Federation had represented to the BSNL Management as also the Chief EPF Commissioner for getting it implemented from 2000. CMD stated that the same has been approved by the Managing Committee and will be placed before the BSNL Board which is meeting on 9th December 2014.
- BSNL wages for TSM/Casual labour: CMD stated that the demand of the Federation for the BSNL wages, instead of the government wages, is under consideration. But he stated that it will incur much expenditure.Com. Namboodiri insisted that justice be done to these low paid workers.
- Implementation of Minimum Wage, EPF and ESI: Com. Namboodiri pointed out the all India situation about the non-payment of minimum wage, EPF and ESI and demanded implementation of the same urgently. With particular reference to UP (East Circle), he furnished the documents regarding the payments, which are not even one third of the minimum wage and no EPF/ESI. He requested urgent remedial action. Workers are paid only about Rs.1000-2000, whereas they are eligible for about Rs.6,600. CMD looked into the details and assured that instruction will be given for correct payment. The Federation also requested the CMD to blacklist those contractors who are not implementing the labour laws.
- Reinstatement of retrenched contract workers in UP, Jharkhand etc.: The victimisation of leaders and workers of BSNLCCWF in Jamshedpur, Hazaribag etc. in Jharkhand and other places were brought to the notice of the CMD and requested for their re-engagement. He stated that these will be looked into.
Meeting with GM (Estt.)
Com. VAN Namboodiri, President, BSNLCCWF, met Shri R.K.Goyal, GM(Estt.) and discussed about the regularisation of the left out TSM/casual workers. He stated in view of the matter being discussed in the Parliamentary Standing Committee, the matter has again been referred to the Attorney General for his advice with reference to the Supreme Court Judgment in the Umadevi case. The advice is expected shortly.
Com. V.A.N.Namboodiri, Convener, Forum of BSNL Unions and Associations met Shri A.N.Rai, CMD BSNL and discussed about the Revival of BSNL and connected matters. He asked the CMD not to implement the M/s Deloittee Committee recommendations with out discussing with the Forum and unions/associations.He also requested to keep in abeyance the orders issued for implementing the concept of SSAs in Maharashtra. CMD assured that a meeting with the Forum will be held shortly to discuss the issues in detail.
Since there is more and more demand for the PLB pipes in connection with the NOFN project, CMD informed that proposals are being mooted to produce the same from more telecom factories in addition to Alipore factory.
Com.Namboodiri pointed out the non-implementation of labour laws with regard to the casual and contract workers and requested to ensure their implementation.
Com.Namboodiri requested for grant of liberal assistance to the employees of Jammu and Kashmir who have lost all in the recent drastic flood. CMD assured that whatever assistance is given by the state government to its employees will be given to the BSNL employees by the management.
AIBDPA leaders Com. V.A.N.Namboodiri, Advisor, K.G.Jayaraj, General Secretary, M.P.Kunhanandan, Treasurer and J.N.Mishra former president BSNLEU met Shri A.N.Rai, CMD BSNL and discussed about the problems of the DOT/BSNL pensioners. They requested that the rent for the staff quarters be reduced, Concession on Broadband connection be extended to the DOT retirees, Early settlement of pensionary benefits to the retirees, restoration of medical allowance without voucher to the pensioners etc. CMD assured that the issues will be favourably considered.
The post of Director (Finance), BSNL is vacant for the last few months after the retirement of Shri K.C.G.K.Pillai. Shri R.K.Upadhyay, present CMD BSNL is retiring on 30th June 2014. Shri Anupam Shrivastava was selected for the post. But now, it is understood, that the post will be filled up only after the new government takes a decision. In that case, the CMD post also may be vacant for some time.
NDA government assured good governance. Is this good governance keeping these important posts vacant? The Central Government should immediately fill up these posts to help BSNL to function.
Meeting with CMD BSNL
The Forum representatives Com. V.A.N.Namboodiri, Convener and Prahlad Rai, GS AIBSNLEA met Shri R.K.Upadhyay, CMD BSNL today, 4 March 2014 and discussed the issues of Merger of BSNL and DOT, Formation of Tower Company and other connected matters.
The Forum representatives expressed their strong protest against the proposal of Meger of BSNL and MTNL without settling the HR, Disinvestment and assets/liabilities (of MTNL) issues. The question of merger can take place only after solutions are found out for the above issues. They also opposed the formation of a tower company.
CMD stated that no decision has been taken so far and the unions will be taken in to confidence before any decision is taken. He stated that maximum effort is being taken to make BSNL financially viable. He also mentioned that the view point of the unions are known to the management.
A copy of the letter addressed to Secretary DOT stating that BSNL workers will go on Immediate Indefinite Strike if any arbitrary decisions are taken in the above matters was handed over to CMD BSNL.
Both the Circle secretaries of BSNLEU and NFTE Chhattisgarh met the CMD Shri R.K.Upadhyay who was on tour at Raipur and discussed the issue of the casual/contract workers and the non-implementation of Corporate office orders by the Circle/SSA authorities. The CMD assured them that the matter will be looked in to. The letter given by the Staff Side, Circle Council is given below:
CIRCLE COUNCIL (STAFF SIDE)
CHHATTISGARH CIRCLE, RAIPUR
No. CCM/CORR/ Dated:-10/01/2014
Shri R.K. Upadhyay
( On visit to Chhattisgarh Circle )
(Through CGMT, C.G. Circle, Raipur)
We on behalf of Circle Council (Staff Side), heartily welcome your goodself on first visit of Circle. On the auspicious occasion of All India BSNL Basketball Tournament, being organised at Bhilai during 9th and 10th January 2014. Taking advantage of this occasion we respectfully wish to draw your kind attention towards certain issues which are centric to C.G. Circle.
(1) We wish to respectfully submit that more than 2000 Contract Workers are being inhumanly exploited by the Contractor, and some Executives. Neither Minimum Wage is paid nor Social Security measures like EPF/ESI implemented, laboures are paid much less than what is due to them after continued persuation by the Unions, Orders were got issued by the Corporate Office on minimum wage, social security measures and procedures for payment etc. But unfortunatly C.G. Circle/ SSA managements conveniently shy away from its responsibility to implements Order as Pricipal Employer as per Government Acts and instructions. Very recently EPF Commissioner,Chhattisgarh Region, Raipur passed a verdict directing BSNL management to deposit Two Crores Seventy Nine Lacs towads EPF contributions, as because verdict was brazenly ingnored by the management, many Bank accounts of SSA heads reportedly freezed by the EPF authority. It is noteworthy that print and electronic media have widely highlighted the lapses of BSNL authority as a Principal Employer. Kindly look in to the matter and ensure that orders/ instructions issued by the Corporate Office are implemented and clear and strong communication may please be made to C.G. Circle to ensure that Labour Laws and issues are dealt with extreme sensitivity and caution. It would not be out of place to urge that responsibility for such violation of labour laws may kindly be fixed to stop recurrence of such lapses.
We shall be highly obliged if aforesaid issues are considered sympathetically in the interest of Workforce and Company.
(S.M. Chilamwar) (S.C. Bhattacharya)
Leader, Staff Side & Secretary, Staff Side &
C.S., NFTE BSNL C.S., BSNLEU