Tags

The French Revolution was aimed against the monarchy and the clergy both of which ruled the country and exploited the people. It was a question of 3% or so, ruling and exploiting the rest 97%. There was no bread, no food to eat, but the clergy and the monarchy lived in extravagance and enjoyment.
This resulted in the French Revolution which started with the storming of the Bastilles, the infamous prison where many prisoners were put in and weapons were stored.
It was on 14th of July 1789 that the Bastille was stormed releasing all the prisoners and capturing the arms. The historical Paris Commune was part of the revolution.
The Revolution had to go through many crises, inner struggles, attacks from the rulers (kings) of the nearby states and the clergy. The King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette were guillotined for conspiracy against the state.Though it continued till 1799, the entire period was a matter of constant change in the centre of power and tussle between various sections of the Revolution.
The Revolution ended in 1799, when Napoleon Bonaparte, a General in the army, took over and started the Government called Consulate. By 1804, he declared himself the Emperor of France. Thus ended the period of Revolution.
Despite all the crises, weakness and guillotining of opponents, French Revolution had a strong impact on the world. It was really a revolution against the clergy and the monarchy and it succeeded in abolishing the monarchy and curtailing the power of the clergy. It inspired the working class all over the world and showed that the working class / commoner can capture power.