Memorandum to Communications Minister
In the general elections in 2014, UPA was defeated and NDA government was formed with Shri Narendra Modi as Prime Minister. Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad was new Communications and IT Minister. Immediately on taking over charge, he stated that revival of BSNL and MTNL is his priority. He criticised the earlier government for not attending to the requirement of these two PSUs.
In this circumstance, the Forum in its meeting on 22-05-2014 decided to submit a memorandum to the Communications Minister.
The following Memorandum was submitted to the Minister on 26-05-2014:
- Honour the assurances given to BSNL at the time of corporatisation
- Provide Financial Assistance to BSNL
- Refund Spectrum Charges paid by BSNL to government.
- Stop formation of new/subsidiary companies disintegrating BSNL
- Fill up posts of Directors of BSNL Board
- Pension contribution to be calculated on the basis of actual pay instead of on the maximum of the pay scale.
- BSNL services to be made mandatory for central/State/PSU establishments.
- Absorption of ITS Officers in BSNL
- 78.2% IDA merger for BSNL pensioners.
- The Memorandum was signed all the affiliates of the Forum.
M/s Deloitte Committee recommendations opposed.
In the meanwhile, M/s Deloitte Consultants, which was engaged by the BSNL Management gave its recommendations with regard to the financial viability and revival of BSNL. There was no discussion or consultation with the Unions/Associations. The recommendations including VRS, combining SSAs, reducing the number of staff etc. were completely against the interest of BSNL and its workers. The meeting of the Forum held on 24-08-2014 strongly opposed the recommendations and decided to organise agitational programmes for rejecting the same.
- Protest Demonstrations on 12th August 2014 at Corporate Office / Circle / SSA
- Press Statement to be issued against the retrograde recommendations of Deloitte Consultants
- Meet the Communications minister to discuss the same.
The demonstrations in Delhi was held on 21st August to adjust with the meeting of the Heads of Circles at that time in corporate office. All the programmes were successfully organised. But however, no meeting with the Minister was held. (to be continued).