Affiliation of unions to JAC
The meeting of the Joint Action Committee held on 25th April 2012 discussed the requests of NFTBE and FNTOBEA for affiliation to JAC and the same were accepted.
JAC renamed as Forum of BSNL Unions/Associations
The meeting of the JAC held on 28th May 2012 was attended by NFTE. In order to include all the new unions and to have no embarrassment to any union, it was decided to re-name the Joint action Committee in to Forum of BSNL Unions/Associations of Non-Executives and Executives. Coms.C.Singh and V.A.N.Namboodiri were unanimously elected as President and Convener of the Forum respectively.
Forum decides agitational programmes
The meeting of the newly constituted Forum met on 29th May 2012 and discussed about the pending issues of the BSNL employees. It was surprised to find that while the Management has denied 78.2% to the executives, it has fully implemented the VI CPC recommendations for the ITS who are on deputation and who have already opted for DOT. This is a stark discrimination towards BSNL absorbed employees.
As such the Forum decided to organize agitational programme immediately. The following programme of action was finalized:
- Massive demonstrations at all Circle/SSA HQs and day long dharna at BSNL Corporate office on 31st May 2012
- Mass Dharna at BSNL CO/Circle/SSA HQs on 6th June 2012
- Indefinite Strike w.e.f. 13th June 2012
The following are the demands:
- Immediate implementation of DPE OM. No. 2(70)/08-DPE(WC)/09 dated 26th November 2008 and OM No. 2(70)/08-DPE(WC)-GL-VII/09 dated 2nd April 2009 i.e
- Revision of pay as per fitment benefit @78.2% w.e.f. 01-01-2007.
- Revision of Perks & Allowances after revision of pay scales.
- Transport Allowance
- Children Education Allowance/Tution Fees/Hostel Subsidy etc.
- Family Planning Allowance
- Professional Upgradation Allowance
- Payment of Medical Allowances on quarterly basis as per BSNLMRS
- Restoration of All india LTC/Leave Encashment
- Implement Child care leave.
- Provision of Superannuation benefits to directly recruited employees as per DPE guidelines.
The Strike Notice was issued on 29th May 2012 and was signed by ComradesV.A.N.Namboodiri, Convener, Forum, Prahlad Rai(AIBSNLEA), P.Abhimanyu(BSNLEU), Raj Mouli(NFTE), V.Subburaman(TEPU), S.P.Sharma(BSNLWRU), Hari Singh(BTU BSNL), R.S.Yadav(ATM), R.K.Kohli(NFTBE), Suresh Kumar(BSNLMS), H.P.Singh(BSNLOA), Gajendra Kumar(BTEU BSNL), (AIGETOA), K.Sebastin(SNEA(I) and D.P.Patwa(AIBCTES).
A Circular by Forum signed by the Convener and all the General Secretaries was issued on 7th June 2012 calling upon the employees to fully participate in the ensuing Indefinite Strike from 13th June. Wall Posters designed was put in the website and the Circle Forum Conveners asked to print the same in local languages. A Press statement was issued by the Convener on the strike. An effort was made to meet the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Communications. Circles were asked to form the Forum so that co-ordinated efforts could be made.
Discussion with CMD BSNL
After receipt of the Strike notice, a meeting was called by the CMD BSNL on 11-06-2012 continued on 12-06-2012. All the General Secretaries were present. After protracted discussion, the following agreement was reached between the Forum and the BSNL Management:
Agreement on 12-06-2012
- Revision of pay is agreed as per fitment benefit @ 78.2% w.e.f.01-01-2007 subject to approval by the competent authority. However, actual payment will be made prospectively and the arrears will be deferred for the time being and will be paid only when the financial position of the company improves. This will be applicable for the pensioners also.
- Medical reimbursement with voucher for out-door treatment, Professional Upgradation Allowance and HRA will continued to be paid at basic pay with 68.8% fitment. Payment of these allowances will be reviewed on 01-04-2013, subject to the financial position of the company.
- All other allowances ie. Children Education Allowance, Tution Fee, Hostel Subsidy, Family Planning Allowance etc. will continue to be paid at the present rates.
- The issue of implementation of Child care Leave will be taken up with the BSNL Board for re-consideration
- For the purpose of provision of superannuation benefits to directly recruited employees, as per DPE Guide Lines, a committee will be constituted to re-examine the issue and give its recommendations.
With the signing of this agreement, the Forum of BSNL Unions/Associations and the National Unions of BSNL Workers (FNTO) has decided to defer its proposed indefinite strike from 13th June 2012.
The agreement was signed by Shri N.K.Narang, GM(SR) on behalf of BSNL Management. The following signed on behalf of Forum:
Comrades P.Abhimanyu(BSNLEU), Prahlad Rai(AIBSNLEA), Islam Ahmed(NFTE), S.V.S.Subrahmaniam(BTEU BSNL), Suresh Kumar(BSNLMS), N.D.Ram(SEWA BSNL), K.Sebastin(SNEA(I), Zile Singh (NTSU), H.P.Singh(BSNLOA), R.P.Shahu(AIGETOA), K.Jayaprakash (FNTO), S.P.Sharma(WRU), Hari Singh(BTU), D.P.Patwa (AIBCTES).
The agreement was a great success in the situation when the company was in loss. The struggle of the workers was not in vain. The large mobilization of the workers, their preparation for strike to ensure justice – all created a situation, where the management was compelled to discuss and agree to the demands of the workers.
The meeting of the Forum on 4th September 2012 discussed in detail about the pending issues and also the implementation of the agreement signed on 12th June 2012. It was understood that the BSNL Board has approved 78.2% IDA fixation, but the same will have to be approved by the DOT. No decision has been taken about the Child Care Leave. (To be continued)